Menu Monday

The cooler weather is making for some delicious dinners around here.  I love soups from my crock-pot combined with fresh baked bread.  Wonderful way to warm up a wet, chilly fall evening.  Today I made one of my faves - Wild Rice and Sausage Soup.  Of course I had to try it for lunch.

Wild Rice and Sausage Soup

2 cups diced turkey sausage (replace with your favorite sausage or cooked ham)
1 cup juliened carrots
3/4 cup uncooked wild rice (I like a mix of rices & wheat berries)
1 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1 can cream of celery soup
ground pepper to taste
1 cup half & half
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Add sausage, carrots, rice, stock, cream of celery and pepper into crock-pot.  Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  Stir in half & half and dry sherry then turn on high and cook for 10-15 minutes.  Sprinkle almonds and parsley on top to serve.

This soup goes perfectly with fresh baked bread and my personal favorite to serve is Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread.  You can add herbs, like basil or rosemary (dried 1/2 tsp. or fresh 1 tsp.) to the recipe but I love it without.  I love my bread machine and this is perfect for it.  This recipe is for a 1 1/2 lb. loaf.

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread

3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon dry yeast

Put all ingredients into the bread machine pan in the order given.  Set machine for 1 1/2 pound loaf and go.

The menu for the rest of the week includes more soups, homemade potpie, crockpot pork chops and roasted chicken.  I've also have plans for Colonial Oatmeal Cookies, apple crisp and pear tart this week too.  Love fall baking and cooking.

Comments

Popular Posts