Finding Inspiration

I've been on a cleaning streak lately, which has lead to going thru my stash of magazines.  I have to say that I love my old "Victoria" magazines.  They are filled with such beautiful and inspiring images.  I always have the urge to create something lovely and frilly when I browse the pages.  DH would like me to get rid of my LARGE collection of these magazines but I just can't bear to part with them.  I also like the newer version of Victoria Magazine too.  So much pretty.  I now have the urge to create a ruffle-bustle sundress for DD to wear for her last day of school next week.

I also went thru my stash of Somerset Studio, Somerset Life, and Somerset Apprentice magazines.  More wonderful inspiration to be found on the pages of these magazines than I can begin to process.  I spent hours mesmerized by all the artwork and ideas.  I just couldn't hold off the creative juices and had to create a few cute note pockets inspired by the ones in Apr/May/June 2010 Somerset Life.  These are basically paper covered and embellished toilet paper rolls, which turn out darling.  I made a butterfly one for my daughter and a car one for my son.  I put little notes in them each morning and the kids love it.

Butterfly Note Pocket

Car Note Pocket

Love Note Pocket
Another source of inspiration lately has been from my DVD collection of musicals - Hello Dolly, Gigi, White Christmas, My Fair Lady, Auntie Mame, Funny Face, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Guys & Dolls to name just a few.  The costumes, the songs and the settings are so inspiring to me.  I'm still working on a 12x12 canvas mixed media piece based on the song "On the Street Where You Live" from My Fair Lady.  I have started really looking at the details of everything from these musicals since starting the "Street" project.  The costumes have great details that can be added to projects - tassels, buttons, bling, berries, tulle, flowers, lace, pleats, beading.  I also love seeing the different eras and the styles of each.  I'm almost ready to finish the "Street" piece and start on something else.  We'll see what I'm inspired to work on next.

On the Street Where You Live - mixed media piece

Comments

Popular Posts