Break, Clean and Create

I've been very low-tech for over a month around here.  The kids and I have been busy, mostly out-n-about.  Visits to the library, trips up-north, bike rides, swimming, walking, camping.  It was a nice break actually.  Read some good books and enjoyed the quieter house with less electronics buzzing.  I'm ready to return to technology, enjoy it and keep it at a reasonable level.  During part of my "break" I was busy getting serious with my health.  It is time to get back to healthy eating, plenty of movement and feeling better.  All the fresh fruits and veggies are so deliciously tempting.  Spending plenty of time (and money) walking around the farmer's market. Yum!
Fresh Blueberries and Strawberries

Since the family was busy with life, things started piling up, even on my "art desk".  Because I had to dig through a bunch of stuff to reach most of my supplies I didn't create or work on much.  I spent a little time painting a class sample and mad dashes at my art journal here or there.  The stacks of items were starting to teeter every time I walked by the desk so I finally broke down and cleaned the thing off.  I didn't realize that had been purchasing so many supplies (buttons, ribbons, fibers, paper, inks, etc.) when I did a touch of shopping after teaching a class.  I also didn't realize that I had projects started that I had totally forgotten about.  Now the desk is scrubbed clean, the new supplies are put away, organized and I am feeling refreshed.  Feeling totally charged up and ready to create.

And I have been creating.  One project I've been working on is a mixed media canvas based on the song "On the Street Where You Live" from the musical "My Fair Lady".  I love the movie/musical and the song.  I also like where the piece is going.  I'm inspired to create a series based on the songs and outfits from the movie.  Looking forward to working on it all once the kids start school next month.
On the Street Where You Live, mixed media

Even though my desk was messy I did find a tiny bit of space to play in my art journal.  I had fun using the brayer to smush the paint around my pages for the first time.  It was fun and a good way to use some paints I wouldn't normally use that were left over from class samples.  I have some fun things I can't wait to try after reading the new book "The Art Journal Work Shop" by Traci Bunkers.  Great ideas and prompts, made me so eager to dig back in, good push to clean off my desk too.






Comments

Popular Posts